14 October 2010

for the love of a child

If we don't love our parents now, when else?



Me: Ma, I have to join my friends to rent a house next sem.
Ma: For what? Can't you settle your first year first?
Me: That's not the point. All my friends are living outside. Plus, my faculty is miles away from colleges.
Ma: You are well and fine with that now.
Me: I can't keep rushing every morning to catch for the bus, Ma.
Ma: We'll talk with Papa when you get home this weekends.


That is the one problem with my parents.
I believe that every parents have their own right to be pessimistic and suspicious of their own children because they are just being responsible. So, they are sometimes a little too much overprotective. Hey, it is never easy to raise a child. What is more if there are four or them.

Next semester, it should be advisable for me and my classmates to get a house near to our faculty. 
It is really a pain in the ass (and the whole body, I tell you) to wake early in the morning to catch up two buses each day if you leave in the colleges around here.




My parents, though, are against this idea. They claimed that I am too young for this.
All I could do is to understand the fear they may have about letting their eldest daughter to live in a house independently with some friends. I am very confident that I could manage that.
If you can survive at least two years in a boarding school without severe damage, you have passed the higher achievement of surviving skill.
What more do you want? I went to two separate boarding schools within five years and survived without any scratch, literally.





I still feel odd arguing about this with Ma. I don't argue much with Pa because he is always right and even if he is wrong, he will want you to admit that he is right.
Anyway, both Pa and Ma went to Canada for study at the age of 18. They even got married there. Ma got her first pregnancy (me) in Canada. They lived there for four years and here they are, living happily with their children and trying to convince the eldest one that renting a house is stupidly dangerous at the age of 19.

I would probably want you to analyse this: I am 19 (this December), finishing my first semester and taking the second one next January. I am studying in this particular university since foundation so you can sum up that I have actually been settling down here for a year and a half. And this huge university with thousands of students in it is actually several miles away from home and is connected through one single highway. To be exact, home is about 30 mins away from here. 

Ma and Pa lived across the oceans for four years in their own place at the age of 20s and I am not even allowed to get my own room at the age of 19.Better yet, this place is not even across the river!





So I finally constructed two concrete reasons (those are reachable so far):
1. If I settle in a college, I will be separated from friends so it is probably harder to do discussions.
2. My cousin, with the same case of mine, used to own her own rented place during her second semester.

I hope they can help.




Apart from that, I think I am still going to live in my parents' house even after I am married. I will make sure that is apart from the deal of the marriage. Of course I wouldn't be unfair, so I will suggest a deal with my husband-will-be that every weekends, we should stay at his parents' place.
Oii kenapa cakap pasal kahwin ni weyy first sem pun belum habis lagi makcik oii !



Though, I love you Ma and Pa.
footnote: I am hungry. I missed my dinner today and I feel like an anorexic already. Hiperbolically, of course.

2 comments:

  1. hihih. ada la tu ur parents takut tu.
    but ur justifications are good enough anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOPEFULY THOUGH. Just keep praying :DD

    ReplyDelete