09 April 2013

the journey


Since you drive your car (which was given by your dad), we have always travelled by car. We ride trains occasionally but even then, we would travel to the station by your car. Travelling in your car would be one of my greatest pleasures in this friendship.

You and I are seated close enough but in separate seats, side by side. Sometimes there are silences and I treasure even those pauses, long or brief ones.  You look out on the road with few glances at the side mirror, the rear mirror or anything that catches your sight on the road. You do throw few glances at me and when I catch them, you just give me a little smile and seldom with are you okay? question to me.

Me, I sit by your side and often try to make myself occupied with my own thoughts. I treasure those silences because I know it makes me feel calm. My thoughts are mostly about the road, where does which corner lead to; or the destination, what to do when we get there; or the topic to break the silence, would it be wise if I talk about this and this. Often, I try not to break those precious silences but I know I had to. To me, it would not be fair when you are driving and I am enjoying that all by myself.

Surely there are times when we make noises like there are seven of us in the car. Those are the times when we fight, we laugh, we complain and we discuss. Of politics, of marriages, of culture, of our family, of gossips and of things we learn. I like it best when we crack jokes and when we agree on the same issue. You and I sound like the silliest person in the world when we share our own irrelevant jokes. And when debate or discuss, I swear we sound like some intelligent law freak trying to solve a serious world problem. I do not remember we fight in the car so much since (I suppose) it is pretty hard to be real mad around each other.

There are these little things you do like when you break the silence with some I love yous and some flattering comments. Sure I remember your little surprises you put in your wallet or in your bag or in the compartment – you will then pretentiously ask me to reach something for you when there are little presents for me in there.

Your car smells nice. It reminds me a lot about you, strong smell with soft touch on my senses. It is a compact car but to me, when you are in there with me, it feels like I could fit a whole house in there. It is so comfortable, enough to convince me that it is actually a portable compact home rather than a just a small car.

The grey and dull looking cushiony car seat in addition with those two small rectangle brown green pillows at the back simply screams comfort. Half of the time, I do not understand the songs you play in the car but you do sing along to those songs. I listen attentively when I like it but when I am indifferent, I will just throw in a topic to talk about.

The journey is the best next to the destination. Being in the car with you feels rather closely like being in the car with my mother. I feel listened and cared and loved and (sometimes) a bit free to decide for anything. The journey can be long and brief but it feels complete when I am either with you or Mama.