11 July 2013

the elevator

I haven't narrated for quite some time. And most of my narrations usually go private because, err, I have not enough confidence on them. Anyhow, here's one. Inspired by a tweet (yes, from a less-then-140-characters post) of Lokman's friend.


It was a usual tiring day. I threw a glance out of the window and saw the sun is ready to set. Frantically, I shot a glance over my watch. ‘Past office hours!’ I thought. ‘I need to get back and buy dinner to break fast by sunset!’ I grabbed few report files and other belongings, crammed them in my sling bag and walked quickly out of my cubicles.

As I was walking, I saw most of my colleagues had already left for home. Few heads were seen from behind their cubicles. They all seemed too absorbed with their work, perhaps like me, unaware of the time.  One figure shifted from his seat and looked up to me. I smiled and said, “Home yet?” And he replied after a yawn, “Planned to finish this first.” I nodded.

The office was extremely quiet at that time. Only the sounds of paper shifting, chairs creaking and some people whispering were heard. I walked pass the floor receptionist counter. There were two women there, talking and giggling slowly. The one behind the counter was a bit plump while the other was thinner yet petite. I meant to greet them but they were too happy in their conversations.

I ignored them and pushed the glass door to reach the elevators. I pressed the button with the arrow pointing downwards placed between the two elevators. I stood quietly while mentally noting myself on what to buy for dinner until the ‘ting’ sound from the right elevator broke the silence. Once the door is opened, I stepped inside and pressed the button ‘G’.

The elevator door was slowly closing. I heard frantic steps from outside and saw a glimpse of a person heading towards the elevator. I reached my hand out to hold the door and I saw a girl panting her breathe as the elevator door slid back to its previous position. She smiled and said, “Thank you.” I nodded to her. She pushed her hair behind her ears and stepped into the elevator.

And the door finally closed.

I shot a quick glance towards the figure beside me. Her cheeks blushed into rosy pink. I could not stop myself from smiling but I looked elsewhere because I refused to look once more. However, my heart seems to be forcing my eyes to betray my dear good intention. Thus I fixed my eyes towards a line of buttons on the elevator. I could swear that that was the longest journey to the ground floor ever.

By the time we reached the ground floor, I could no longer remember my mental notes about my dinner. Feeling rather disturbed, I tweeted about it.


I just felt like writing. And I thought it would be a waste to not publish this on his behalf.

Update: Here's the tweet - 
'Dalam lift pintu dah nak tutup. Awek nak masuk. Aku tahan pintu lift. Terasa amcam movie di mana hero bertemu heroin...'